Tuesday, April 26, 2016

       Falling out of the sky in a Helicopter
         I wanted to do a short discussion on an extra-curricular resource that I subscribe to, it is a YouTube channel called SmarterEveryDay. I have been following the channel for some time, and enjoy its content due to its relevance to current science and technology topics (and sometimes their impact on older topics), and its delivery of information. for the same reasons that I like watching TV shows such as Good Eats (FoodNetwork) and Mythbusters (DiscoveryChannel), and not just for the explosions, but for the visual representation of data, and poignant analogies to aid the viewer in grasping key concepts when the raw formulas and equations are, well... raw.  This weeks particular episode of SmarterEveryDay deals with professional exchange as well, and even involves Twitter, which I wrote about last week. Even better, the astounding amount of professionalism from both parties, involves none other than Neil deGrasse Tyson, who I genuinely think is just an all around awesome guy.

        Ahem, back to the topic. I wanted to point this out as a glowing example of showing responsibility in online interactions, through multiple platforms, which culminates in producing a product that is entertaining, informative, and enjoyable. I hope that more people will see and learn from the videos on SmarterEveryDay. as always the video is included below as well as links to the main channel.

Helicopter Falling

SmarterEveryDay 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Torrey! I know when I searching for an article I try to think about things that are directly related to teachers and students but I really like that this piece shows have teachers, educators, and colleagues can use social media, video, and technology to continue discussion on learning topics. I love Neil Degrasse Tyson and I love that he continuously encourage discussion of science and math. It is with discussion that thoughts and ideas can be shared and we can all learn something new. I think these two mean are an EXCELLENT example for children looking to have a healthy discussion in the classroom. Thank you Torrey!

    ReplyDelete