Thursday, March 31, 2016

If You Can't Beat Them....

Join them. As the old adage goes, this is the principle behind an article I read on NPR discussing how a college psychology professor is using Snapchat to supplement his classroom and his students learning. the professor knew that a majority of his students were constant users of Snapchat, and devised a way to use their habits to help teach his class. Michael Britt, a professor at Marist college in upstate New York, posts real world examples of the material he is teaching to Snapchat. His students can view those examples outside of class, and in a medium to which they already pay close attention to. NPR found that many of the students thought the Snaps were helpful and aided in their understanding of the course material.

This makes sense to me, because new information is best processed in a medium where the learner is actively paying attention, or has behavior to support the processing of new information. however this is just one example of a positive use for the app, in a sea of scandal, and less than responsible uses for Snapchat that many people are familiar with. the article explains that there are many school districts that deny access to services like Snapchat on their school networks, but the article maintains that some of those districts are keeping a watch for viable reasons to re-evaluate those restrictions.

I chose to highlight this article because it reminds me how important to me it is to always be searching for positive educational uses for technology. It is easy to misuse technology, and be irresponsible with new software or systems. Just as it is easy to find innovative solutions to long standing questions using the same technological tools. Just like a hammer can be used for creation and destruction, new technologies can provide just what might be needed to help with the learning process, we just need to be creative enough to find them.

Link

2 comments:

  1. Reading this blog from you is particularly amusing seeing as though I know how you feel about snapchat. I myself make sure that I do not privately engage with students outside of school, especially on social media. Snapchat can be very dangerous but I have also have started to see its benefits. My students at SMHS for example snapchat videos of color guard performances they admire and share them with their team. Its a self perpetuating form of motivation where they can see new moves and either admire or aspire to try. I always know what through snapchat, they've been able to peak into how other teams work and practice. Some of these teams are national championships so I find my students to aspire to rehearse like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, that there’s always going to be ways to utilize technology and ways to abuse it. It’s really awesome to see how a teacher has managed to use a social media outlet to connect with his students on an educational level. I think it’s good because it’s one outlet the students of the newer generations are very much aware of, seems like a considerably good idea for more focused learning. However I always find that I'm a little hesitant with using media outlets such as snapchat, because I wouldn't want to take the chance of misinterpretations of how I connect to my student through social media outlets. With great ideas like this one I think it’s important along with your students to involve school admin and/or the school principal, so that it can remain and continuously be viewed as a positive in technology use for education and could help to reevaluate restrictions.

    ReplyDelete